Thursday, October 18, 2007

Краще з Тобою день один

What is it about the two little letters in the bottom corner of my screen switching from PM to AM that makes me stop and ponder? What is it about the crickets chirping and the fan buzzing that makes me think for a moment that perhaps all the coincidences in my life might be connected, that perhaps if I could see through God's eyes, it would all make sense.

Of course if I believed Romans 8:28 then this result should be simple right? I could quote it a thousand times, I could firmly resolve to accept it, but it seems that only in moments like these does it really take hold of me. Only in moments like these does the thought travel the long 18 inches between my head and heart.

Suddenly I don't need contingency plans, I don't need to keep my options open, and I don't need to know where I'll be in 5 years. Who of Abraham, Joseph, Moses, David, Elisha and countless others knew where God was going to take them? They didn't know God's endgame, just what the next step was.

[Woe] to those who say, "Let God hurry,
let him hasten his work
so we may see it.
Let it approach,
let the plan of the Holy One of Israel come,
so we may know it.

Isaiah 5:19


That passage was in my reading this morning, among the list of charges against Judah. My thoughts drift back to it now, and part of me still rebels. What's so wrong with wanting to know the plans of God? But the more we know, the less we'd trust God. The more we know, the more we'd try to do on our own, and the less we'd let God work. And for the people of Judah, their request was stemmed in doubt, a challenge to Almighty God.

So as I sit here, feet propped up on the bed, only one song seems appropriate to put on: Краще з Тобою день один, a song off my Russian praise cd I bought during my time in Ukraine. In English it's known as Better is One Day. And tonight it's enough for me. It's enough.

Краще з тобою день один,
Тільки з тобою в Твоїм домі.
Краще з тобою день один,
Ніж сотні будь-де.

No comments: