Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Chicken Penne Pasta



Beyond the fact that it was green, I knew pretty much nothing about pesto before today. A little bit of research quickly convinced me to forego trying to make it myself. Its deep green color comes from the large amount of fresh basil. This is crushed up with sea salt and pine nuts and turned into a cream, being finished with some olive oil and cheese. There was only one type of pesto at the store, but I was happy with the apparent quality. This dish itself is pretty simple, using whipping cream and pesto for the sauce. I added extra pesto just to make sure I could distinguish the flavor.

Turns out I didn't need to. The sauce had a strong basil flavor and an enjoyable nuttiness. Some sort of memory kicked it, so I know that I've had it before, I'm just not sure where. Given my general love for basil I'm going to look for some excuses to use it in the future. The jar suggested adding it to tuna salad, so I think I'll give it a shot.

No comments: